Another post from the series of top-10 places to visit… now it is about Zürich in Switzerland. Zürich is the largest (by population) city of Switzerland.
In the city center (check google map):
- Fraumünster (famous Marc Chagall window paintings)
- St. Peter Kirche (you will see the Europe largest clock face on the church)
- Grossmünster – Romanesque-style church – another symbol of Zurich and Rathaus
- Wasserkirche – church built on the water (wasser in the name is for “water”) , it used now for different exhibitions, including photo exhibitions of young artists.
- Kunsthaus (5-10 minutes walk from city center) – one of the best art galleries, diffidently worth visiting! I’d take 1-2 full days to check all interesting galleries and exhibitions in the city, check now the hotels available.
Chinagarten (15-20 minutes walk from the city center) – a piece of China in Zürich built together by Zürich and Chinese landscape specialists. It works from 28 March to 18 October, opening hours are 11.00 to 19.00 all days, including holidays. Get there by tram 2 or 4 or by bus 33 or just walk by the side of the Zürich lake.
- Museum of design (Museum fur Gestaltung)
- Rietberg museum – museum of Asia and Africa, also features related exhibitions.
- Uetliberg – great view on the city, especially in the evening
- Rhein waterfall (1 hour from Zürich, need to get on train to Schaffhausen and there take the bus to Rhein waterfall). Opened all time during the year :), but boat service works only in good weather, also, in the later sping the supposed to be much more water than usually.
Public transportation: consider ZürichCard, it includes round boat travel, Zürich main zones and free entry to some museums, for instance to Museum of design (Museum fur Gestatung).